Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Good News from Malawi

Teddy Phiri is Recovering


Teddy Phiri, one of our four volunteers in Malawi had a stroke several months ago. His right side was severely affected. We have been very concerned about the state of his health but communication with Malawi has been erratic over this time period. A few weeks ago we had a brief message from Jean Phiri. Jean is a colleague of Teddy (no relation) and she travelled with him to Victoria in 2005. (They were funded as part of a CIDA project at that time.)

Jean wrote:

Teddy is improving. Delirah (his wife) told me today that he may be going to South Africa to see a doctor, we are praying for his healing. The only challenge remains his right hand which still remains paralyzed. I will be going to Kenya next week. (see note below)

Jean


On July 14th we were delighted to receive the following message directly fron Teddy

Am very happy to tell you how I am now. I was very sick with the stroke which affected my right hand side, I could even fail to speak, walk or write. But now I am able to speak and walk. The only remaining problem is that I cannot yet use my right hand which was heavily affected. I also do have a lot of memory lapses. I would like to thank you for your concern on my health. The constant encouragements that I received has gone a long way to improve my well being. I wish your family all the best. I would like to inform you that I will start work in August.

Teddy attached the budget request for the next growing season and concluded:

As I mentioned before the beneficiaries are very thankful of the support they receive. They even came to see me during my time of sickness.

I thank you.

Teddy




Note re Jean Phiri.

Jean is going to Kenya to take up a scholarship for a course in Agriculture for women leaders. The scholarship was announced in the Victoria newsletter of Positively Africa. The information was forwarded to Jean who applied and won. This demonstrates some of the positive spinoffs that come from AAA work assisted by the cooperative relationships that exist among the various Victoria organizations which have community to community connections with Africa.

No comments: