Friday, December 31, 2010
Happy New Year!
Best wishes to everyone for a happy new year in 2011. Thanks so much to everyone who helped to raise funds for the projects we support for children and families in southern Africa.
Our total has slightly exceeded the amount raised last year. Our partner groups in Malawi, Zambia and South Africa will be pleased that their work can continue at the same pace.
Here is some news we have received from angel-makers recently.
1. Groups in Roberts Creek BC and Parksville/Qualicum have continued their impressive and successful efforts with high-quality angels.
2. Gondwana Gallery in Salmon Arm BC has sold out of its stock and requested more, which is made in Victoria at Cordova Bay United Church.
3. A minister in Victoria was given a Christmas card with $20 from a parishioner. Since he can't accept money, he donated the money to African AIDS Angels. The parishioner will receive an angel in return.
4. In Nova Scotia, Timberlea United Baptist Church has taken up angel-making and raised a significant amount of money. Angels in a rural store and other efforts in Halifax produce regular and welcome contributions to our total.
5. In Powell River BC, new volunteers emerged in November to produce lots of angels and have the best year yet.
6. On Saltspring Island, Seeds for Malawi had a very successful season producing and marketing craft items.
7. In Victoria, the annual Open House in November and kiosk at Hillside Mall saw lots of angels and quite a bit of money change hands. Angels in shops did well just before Christmas.
8. A group of 4 angel-makers in Vancouver did a 2-day workshop with 400 students at an elementary school. Their combined efforts raised almost $2000. The group of mainly retired teachers did a similar workshop at another school last year.
Thanks to each and every person who contributed to all these (and many other) efforts in so many ways. It's truly impressive that so many people are willing to help the cause of African AIDS Angels. Have a peaceful new year.